Welcome to the Joseph Smith Foundation
The first four definitions for the word foundation given in the Webster’s 1828 Dictionary are:
- The basis of an edifice . . . usually a wall of stone which supports the edifice.
- The act of fixing the basis.
- The basis or ground work, or any thing; that on which any thing stands, and by which it is supported . . . Christ is the foundation of the church.
- Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation, a stone – a precious cornerstone. Is. 28. Other foundation can no man lay than that which is laid, which is Jesus Christ. 1Cor. 3.
- Original; rise; as the foundation of the world.
With this understanding Joseph Smith Foundation is an organization focused on supporting and contributing to projects founded in the words of Jesus Christ. Our motto is “Vision in Light of the Restoration”. Joseph Smith advanced a literal interpretation of scripture and confirmation of the truths taught in the Bible. He taught that a restoration of the doctrine and Church established and led by Jesus Christ was necessary in the latter days as it was in the former ages of the earth. Revelation was the rock foundation of all lasting accomplishment. Currently, Joseph Smith Foundation is the umbrella for the following organizational divisions, each based on the above principles: Joseph Smith Academy, Joseph Smith Forum, Brigham Young Academy and ZionVision.
Those contributing to Joseph Smith Foundation projects are members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, but the foundation is not sponsored by the Church. The resources available on Joseph Smith Foundation sites are based upon and to our best knowledge in harmony with the scriptures and the writings of latter-day prophets. If you know of any doctrinal or otherwise issues please let us know. We welcome your input. Please contact us.